For the next two and a half years I will be living in the West Indies attending Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine on the island of St. Kitts. I am currently vacationing with my parents and then I start orientation on Monday. For now though, I am just exploring the island and getting used to my new home before school starts. Here are my first impressions of the island so far:
1. It's tiny (only 68 square miles!) with one major road that runs around the island a few other "main" roads. I haven't seen a traffic light yet and I've only seen a minimal amount of stop signs. Plus, you drive on the left side of the road.
2. Goats are everywhere, especially along the sides of the roads, munching on old sugar cane plants on the plantations that are all over the island.
3. I feel like this island is extreme - either extreme poverty and sadness or extreme beauty. When travelling around it is gorgeous one minute and then has old abandoned shacks and is rundown looking the next. It really makes me appreciate home.
4. I don't ever see myself getting sick of the ocean, the palm trees, and the summer beauty that encompasses this island. It truly is paradise.
5. It is currently hurricane season so it's been rainy in the morning and then beautiful later on, with a shower or two throughout the day. It's pretty hot, around the high 80's and the sun is very strong but I've heard it's a little unseasonably warm so I hope it only gets cooler from here on out.
Today we went to Nevis (the sister island) and visited Uncle Pete and Aunt Jackie who live there. Nevis is much smaller but cleaner and nicer looking than St. Kitts. We took the ferry over and Uncle Pete showed us around the island and then we had a delicious lunch at his house. Tomorrow we will be taking a tour around the island with Archie - driving aimlessly around the island by ourselves was pointless since we don't know anything about it so I'm excited to have a tour tomorrow.
Here are some pictures:
a view of Basseterre, the capital from the ferry
a "road" with goats leading to a plantation
gorgeous trees around the island

Whoa I cannot believe you are in the location of where your pictures were taken. It's going to be such a great experience with so many new adventures and I'm so excited I'll get to hear all about them on your new blog!!
ReplyDeleteLove you so much.
Lisa, it was so cool to talk to you with Matthew last nite! I gotta run to the store and pick up a camera for my computer =) Glad you're familiarizing yourself with everything on the island. Enjoy it, you're going to have a blast!
ReplyDeleteLove and miss you,
Brigit
I AM VISITING ASAP..... ;-)
ReplyDeleteDear Lisa,
ReplyDeleteNana and I thoroughly enjoyed your narrative RE:
St,Kitts. It is making us feel more comfortable knowing that you already have mapped out your surroundings. I know that you will enjoy your stay and, more importantly, you will excell in your studies.
All our love. Hugs & Kisses,
Nana & Papa.
P.S from Nana:
Be careful. Watch your surroundings. Be positive and always remember that we love you.
Nana