Thursday, January 21, 2010

"PAM are the party with no plan"

We have internet (aka internet that hasn't crapped out on us yet)!!  woo-hoo!!  The roommates and I are slowly settling into our new apartment and are really enjoying it.  My room is GIGANTIC since I have the master bedroom for the first year.  Pictures will be coming soon.  My bedroom alone is bigger than my on campus apartment which was my bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, desk, and den all in one.  It's so nice to have the option of leaving my desk and going to another room for study breaks.  It's also nice not being on campus 24/7.  We have a nice fifteen minute ride in our car, Sunny, to school now which probably would have taken 30 minutes if the new bypass road wasn't open which goes around the traffic of the capital "city."  The only traffic we have to deal with now is mainly from construction trucks, cement trucks, and the occasional kittian who thinks its okay to just stop where they want or talk to their friends.  However, the trickiest part of driving is avoiding the various sized and numerous pot holes on this island.  I quickly learned (after going over them a couple times) to avoid two major potholes on the way back from school which are basically craters.  The next time I hit one of those things we will probably be down one tire.


The election for the Prime Minister of St. Kitts and Nevis is being held on Monday.  Until then, we were told not to wear red or yellow since these colors are associated with the political parties (labour party and people's action movement).  Many people on Nevis want to separate themselves from St. Kitts and be their own country which leads to very heated politics on this island.  There have been rallies, parades, and of course the occasional car carrying speakers larger than the car telling us about reform or something along those lines.  There are also political billboards and posters EVERYWHERE!  They are hysterical, I really need to get a picture of them.  My favorites are the red parties which are way more numerous.  They usually feature a kittian with their arms crossed looking pretty stern with slogans like "PAM are the party with no plan."  I always picture something ridiculous like a person named Pam hosting a party and looking confused because she has no plan or pam the cooking spray and it makes me laugh when I pass it. 


Happy thursday!  Hope everyone has a good weekend!!  I will be spending my time attending an open house for school (I have missed working for Etown's Admissions SOOO much) and then going out to dinner for one of my lab partner's birthdays.  I may sneak a beach visit in there too if I am caught up on all my work since tests are starting soon and we basically have at least one a week until the end of March.  Oh joy.


ohhhh and for fun, here is a picture I stole from someone when a neighboring island's volcano erupted last month.  The ash delayed a lot of flights going home for Christmas.  Gotta love volcanic islands.




No comments:

Post a Comment