Friday, February 26, 2010

we survived our first island flat tire. woo hoo!

One of Sunny's front tires has always been a little weak, but we've been trying to put off getting a new one.  It has 4 plugs in it which we call barnacles and we've filled it with air twice.  Yesterday it apparently had enough and completely died.  We were in the school parking lot about to go see shutter island (which was really good!) when i realized we were basically driving on our rim.  Thankfully a lot of our friends were around and one of the girls didn't even hesitate and started working on the tire.  I swear she changed it in 7 minutes flat.  The 5 other girls and I just watched in awe as she worked her magic.  A couple of guys walked by asking if we needed help but she had it completely under control, while we just looked like idiots on the side of the car watching her.  After the movie, our other friends wouldn't let us drive home in the donut because they didn't think we'd make it so we wound up dropping the car off at school and getting a ride home.  I'm really grateful for the friends I've met here because everyone was jumping to help us and brainstorming to figure out what to do to get to school, get a new tire, get home, suggest mechanics, etc.  Mal went into town today at lunch and got a new tire for us with almost no problems, which is hard to come by on this island most days.  And by no problems, I mean it still took her forever, she had problems understanding the kittians accent, and there was a lot of traffic.  Much better than the day we had to change our electricity names on the bill.  NOT as smooth a process.  


With the tire fixed, I am off to volleyball in a little, followed by walking the kennel dogs (it's my turn this week, 7 of the second semesters have to walk 3 dogs each twice a day for a week), and then out to ziggy's!  Happy (pop your lab coat collar) friday everyone!!  My anatomy group started the tradition this semester and it is slowly spreading... Enjoy the weekend (and the snow....).

No comments:

Post a Comment